History

In the 112 years since this home was built, only four families (including ours) have owned this beautiful dwelling.  Many additions and modifications were made over the years including using the back section of the house as a dentist office.  The structure was also carved into three separate residences where many Mines students and families lived for years.


Architectural Description (from the Colorado Historical Society)

Brick (unpainted) structure with front facing gable.  Diamond and fishscale shingles in gables.  Steeply pitched roof.  Double hung windows (one over one glazing) with stone sills.  Upper windows have decorative crown molding.  Brick string course around structure at window sill level.  Entry door has segmental arch.  A bay window appears on the east side of the house which has a lower gable (steep pitch) over it.  A two story brick addition with a steeply pitched cross gable roof was added after 1949 which had a dentist's office on the ground floor with an outside entrance on the west side of the structure.  A one story frame addition also appears on the rear also with a cross gable roof of medium pitch.  A wrap-around porch with a low brick wall and classical columns support a hipped roof of low pitch.


Construction History (from the Colorado Historical Society)

This residence was built in 1897 for Soren Sorensen.  Dr. Leslie C. Anderson purchased it in 1930 and lived there for a number of years.  The doctor added a two story brick addition to the northeast (rear) portion of the original structure sometimes after 1947 for his dentist office.  The wrap around porch was probably added at this same time due to the change in type of brick.


Historical Background (from the Colorado Historical Society)

Soren Sorensen ran a grocery store on Washington Avenue for many years (from 1903 through 1921).  After his death in 1921, his wife, Margaret sold the property to Charles M. Danford, in 1922.  On June 23, 1930 Danford sold the property to Dr. Leslie C. Anderson.

Dr. Anderson came to Golden in 1912 and purchased the dentistry practice of Dr. Arthur C. Lake (the youngest son of Carlos W. Lake, and grandson of Seth Lake).

Dr. Anderson lived in the house with his wife Helen and daughters Anna Belle and Evelyn.  He had a dentist office in the Rubey Bank building at 1201 Washington Avenue until 1947, when he added a two story brick addition to his residence for an office.

His daughter and her husband reside in this residence at present.  


Statement of Significance (from the Colorado Historical Society)

This residence is one of the few Edwardian Vernacular style in the district with traces of the Queen Anne style of architecture.  It is also closely associated with many prominent Golden families.  Mr. Sorensen was predominant businessman and Dr. Anderson a leader in the community, see historical background.


An old article from the Golden Transcript about the original owner of our house:

SOREN SORENSEN, one of the successful merchants of Golden and a member of the firm of Wasson & Sorensen, was born in Nordordalen, Norway, June 12, 1849, the son of John and Kari (Olson) Sorensen, also natives of Norway. His father, who was a farmer in the old country, died in Kansas while visiting his son there in 1896; and during the same year his wife passed away in Norway. They were the parents of ten children, all but one of whom are still living, six of these being in America.

In the common schools of Norway the subject of this sketch received a fair education. In July, 1868, he came from Copenhagen to New York, thence traveled west to Janesville, Wis., where he was employed for a short time. In the spring of 1869 he took up a homestead claim in Kansas, eighty acres of which were within the railroad limit, in Waubansee County, near Altavista. After he had proved upon the property he bought an adjacent tract, making a total acreage of one hundred and sixty; which he improved and placed under cultivation. Eighteen years were spent onthat place, after which, in 1887, he came to Golden, but soon went to the mining district in the San Luis Valley, where he pre-empted a claim. Returning to Golden in less than two years, he formed a partnership with his brother-in-law and established the grocery house of Wasson & Sorensen, on Washington avenue, where he has since conducted business. In 1897 he built a comfortable residence on Second street.

Politically Mr. Sorensen is a Republican and while in Kansas served as treasurer of his school district. During his residence in that state he married Margaret E. Wasson, who was born in Peoria, Ill. They are the parents four sons, Roy, George, Dudley and Alfred. He has a fine family of sons and is justly proud of their ability and intelligence. He is a man of great moral worth and fine character. He is fond of his home, as is natural to the people who come from that country where nothing is held in higher reverence than the sanctity of the home and family. Like others of that nationality, he possesses the thrift, sound common sense and determination of character that almost invariably bring financial prosperity. By his honest dealings with all, he has won the patronage of the people of Golden and the surrounding country, who hold him in the highest esteem for his integrity and honorable character. 

The home was purchased in the early 1900s (thinking around 1915 but TBD) by a Dr. Anderson who had a dentist office on Washington Avenue in downtown Golden (three blocks east).  He moved his dental practice to the house some time around 1949 when an addition was added to the back portion of the structure which included an office for his dentistry, a laboratory and a two bedroom apartment with a full bath for Colorado School of Mines students.  What I believe was the original kitchen was turned into the patient waiting room.

The Dr. practiced for many years until his passing in (TBD).  His daughter Evelyn (Evie) Hampton and her husband John, lived in the home for many years with Evie living in the downstairs section until her passing in 2008.

A write-up about Evelyn Anderson Hampton:

Evelyn (Evie) Hampton, 93, a life-long Golden resident, passed away May 6 at her home on historic 12th Street in Golden where she lived her entire life. She was preceded in death by John, her husband of 64-plus years.

Following her graduation from Golden high school, Evie attended Colorado A & M College (CSU) in Fort Collins for two years and then attended Barnes Business School for two years. She worked for Banks Insurance Company in Golden. She and her high school sweetheart were married in Golden in 1937. Family was the most important thing in her life. She never missed an event in which her niece, son, or daughter were involved. She continued that support with her grandnephews, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. She was a loyal supporter of Golden athletics from little league to high school. She hauled her niece's and children's friends to games, movies, skate parks, etc. Her home was always filled with teenagers.

She was the longest-participating member of the United Methodist Church of Golden (82 years). She was a member of the Eastern Star and the Kappa Delta Sorority (CSU). She served on the Golden Library Board and was a volunteer for 32 years at Lutheran Hospital.

She leaves behind her niece, Sharon Dolittle Nelson; son, John (Lisa) Hampton; daughter, Sandi (Stuart) Jones; 4 grandnephews; 9 grandchildren; 7 great-grandchildren; and 10 great- nieces and nephews who will all miss her very much.

Services were held Saturday, May 10 in Golden with interment at Crown Hill Cemetery. 
Ċ
1897 House,
Jul 21, 2009, 12:54 PM
Ċ
1897 House,
Jul 20, 2009, 2:30 PM
Comments